MUSIC FOR LARGE ENSEMBLE
- BALLS (2016) recipient of the 2015 Opera America Discovery Grant. Librettist Gail Collins. Balls is a multimedia opera dramatizing the famed September 20, 1973, tennis game between Billie Jean King and Bobby Riggs. The match, dubbed "The Battle of the Sexes," changed not only the perception and treatment of women in sports, but significantly advanced the women’s rights movement.
- WILDE TALES (2016) commissioned by The Glimmerglass Festival. Recipient of the 2015 Opera America Commissioning Grant. Librettist Kelley Rourke. Oscar Wilde's Fairy Tales.
- 110 PROJECT (2009) commissioned by the Los Angeles Opera The history of Los Angeles through the eyes of her oldest freeway, the 110, on the occasion of the 70th anniversary of its dedication
- ASK YOUR MAMA (2009) [104'] Commissioned by Carnegie Hall for Jessye Norman, orchestra, jazz, hip-hop and spoken word artists. Poetry by Langston Hughes. Album Release July 3, 2015 by Avie Records. World Premiere March 16, 2009 Carnegie Hall. West Coast Premiere August 31, 2009, The Hollywood Bowl. Harlem Premiere March 23, 2013, The Apollo Theater.
- ESCAPE (1997) Commissioned by the Los Angeles Opera.
- LOVING TENDER PRESENT (2015) [12'] commissioned by The San Francisco Gay Men's Chorus, Words by Rebecca Walker, World Premiere December 11, 2015.
- SIREN SONGS (2015) [25'] commissioned by The Pacific Symphony, premiered June 11-13, 2015 conducted by Carl St. Clair. Poetry by Amy Gerstler, Visuals by Tempe Hale.
- THE HIDDEN WORLD OF GIRLS (2012) [90'] Commissioned by Cabrillo Festival of Contemporary Music, premiered July 28th and 29th, 2012 conducted by Marin Alsop, Santa Cruz, California. Collaboration with The Kitchen Sisters. Visuals by Obscura Digital.
- OUT OF BOUNDS (2011) commissioned by The University of Michigan Jazz Ensemble
- PLUCKY (2009) for string orchestra, commissioned by The Young Musicians Foundation Orchestra
- HEEBIE JEEBIES (2006) for chorus and two pianos, commissioned on the occasion of the 100th Anniversary of The Juilliard School.
- SCAT (2005) Commissioned by bassoonist Lumír Vaneck and the Czech National Symphony.
- THE TRANSITIVE PROPERTY OF EQUALITY (2005) Commissioned by Red Bull Artsehcro. Premiered October 2, 2005, Carnegie Hall. West Coast Premiere by Marin Alsop at the 2006 Cabrillo Festival of Contemporary Music
- BUTTER MY TONGUE (2000) for women's choir, commissioned by Sound Circle
- PLUM SUGAR (2000) commissioned by the West Hollywood Orchestra
- SWITCHING STATIONS (1990) commissioned by Concordia Chamber Symphony
- SIX OF ONE, HALF A DOZEN OF ANOTHER (1987) commissioned by The New York Youth Symphony
- DUETS, TRIOS, QUINTETS (1986) concerto for flute, oboe, clarinet, bassoon and string orchestra, commissioned by The American Composers Orchestra
- WAXING NOSTALGIC (2011) for viola, guitar & samples, based on Charles Lumis’ wax cylinder recordings, commissioned by Laura Klugherz.
- NOW ALL SET (2011) for jazz ensemble, commissioned by Perspectives of New Music for the Milton Babbitt Tribute Album.
- DIFFERENT LANES (2012) Commissioned by Pacific Serenades for string quartet and electronics.
- TAKE 4 (2008) Commissioned by The Premiere Saxophone Quartet
- MELTING POT (2005) song cycle
- CONVERSATIONS FOR PIANO FOUR HANDS (2004)
- ABOUT JOSHUA (2003) for harp, viola and flute, commissioned by The Debussy Trio
- ROUNDS (2000) for viola and piano
- LOVE IS NOT ALL (1999) for soprano and piano
- CAPRICES FOR STRING TRIO (1990) commissioned by Ensemble Capriccio
- PORTRAIT OF JACO (1989) a fantasy based on themes of Jaco Pastorius for violin, viola, cello, double bass, piano commissioned by The Minneapolis Artist’s Ensemble
- SONG PICTURES (1989) for wind synthesizer and soprano, commissioned by Laura Hunter
- GREETINGS FROM L.A. (1989) for synthesizers, commissioned by Ginza Gallery, Tokyo, Japan
- INVARIABLY PAGANINI (1988) for two pianos, commissioned by Rutgers University
- MATISSE AND JAZZ (1987) for soprano, saxophone, piano and percussion, commissioned by The Whitney Museum of Art
- STRING QUARTET (1987) commissioned by The Lydian String Quartet
- STICK TRICK (2015) for solo percussion, commissioned by Evelyn Glennie
- COMMON TONE (2004) for electric viola and samples, commissioned by Martha Mooke
- UNTITLED (1998) for solo cello, commissioned by Maurice Grants
- SAXMANIAC (1987) for solo alto saxophone, commissioned by Laura Hunter
- Anthony and Cleopatra (2012) A Noise Within
- To Kill A Mockingbird (2011) Denver Center for the Performing Arts
- The Imaginary Cuckold (2010) L.A. Theatre Works
- School for Husbands (2010) L.A. Theatre Works
- Tartuffe (2010) National Theatre Conservatory
- A Woman (Two Channel Video) (2009) Aspect Ratio Theatricals
- Merchant of Venice (2008) Georgia Shakespeare Festival
- Henry IV Part 1 (2008) A Noise Within
- Pericles (2007) The Old Globe
- Dear Brutus (2007) A Noise Within
- The Tempest (2007) A Noise Within
- Phaedra (2005) A Noise Within
- Othello (2005) A Noise Within
- The Cherry Orchard (2005) Georgia Shakespeare Festival
- Children and Art: Sondheim 75th Birthday Celebration (2005) New Amsterdam Theatre
- American Songbook: Harold Arlen Centennial (2005) Lincoln Center
- School for Wives (2005) A Noise Within
- The Homecoming (2004) A Noise Within
- Carrolling (2004) musical, A Noise Within
- Electra (2004) A Noise Within
- A Wilde Holiday (2001-2003) musical, A Noise Within
- The Misanthrope (2000) A Noise Within
- Taming of the Shrew (1999) A Noise Within
- Twelfth Night (1999) Georgia Shakespeare Festival
- Comedy of Errors (1998) Georgia Shakespeare Festival
- Much Ado About Nothing (1998) A Noise Within
- The Miser (1998) A Noise WIthin
- The Tempest (1997) Georgia Shakespeare Festival
- As You Like It (1996) A Noise Within
- A Christmas Carol (1996) musical, A Noise Within